The Hilgard post was chartered in 1919. The first posts were in Belleville: one in Liederkranz Hall across from Renner's Funeral Home on North Illinois. The farm was bought in 1949, and a barn, now called the Stalag Building, was first used for meetings. A hall was later built which some called the "White Elephant" because of its white paint, however, this building burned down on June 21, 1989. The current hall was built shortly after this.